So- tuna was on sale this week. Now when something with a long shelf life goes on sale that means you buy! I’m not talking just a few cans….I mean you buy out the store. (don’t be fooled there are plenty of cans hiding behind these two stacks!)
Then there is the question of how to use all of that tuna. There are only so many tuna sandwiches two people can eat. So when faced with a mountain of tuna cans, carrots that are about to turn and the two end pieces of a loaf of bread, there is only one thing to do- and that my friends is make tuna patties!
Fish can often get expensive and go making patties (tuna or canned salmon work best) is a great inexpensive way to add fish to your diet!
Sauteeing vegetables before (I use carrots, celery and onion) adds some flavour and crunch to the patties. Adding vegetables into the patties rather than making them the star of the dish is also a nice way to sneak some extra veggies into picky eater’s diets.
Zesty tuna/salmon burgers
Serves 4-6 (depending on size)
2 cans (around 200g) salmon/tuna
1 cup mixed sautéed vegetables (celery, carrot, onion)
2 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup breadcrumbs- or the two end pieces of the loaf!
1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
1-2 tsp frank’s red hot sauce
favorite sweet sauce (duck sauce)
*for a gluten free version either choose gluten free breadcrumbs or omit the egg and breadcrumbs and combine with ½ can pumpkin or ½ sweet potato roasted
1. With gloves and clean hands, open the cans place in a large bowl
2. mix remaining ingredients with the fish and form into 4-6 patties
3. heat a large sauté pan over high heat
4. Add salmon burgers one at a time and lower heat to medium-high
5. grill for 2-3 minutes per side
6. Add ¼ cup of water to the pan and increase the heat cooking for 2-3 more minutes.
*these can also be broiled in the oven on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. Broil 2-3 minutes and flip to get both sides!
1. Mexican twist: top with sliced avocado, salsa and hot sauce
2. Asian inspired: Slice green onion and add 2 tbsp soy sauce, ½ tsp sesame oil and ½ tbsp. honey.
3. for a tropical theme slice mango and pineapple to top